Wendell Berry. Miles Davis. A Bigasst Gorilla.

"...every day do something that won't compute."
Wendell Berry


Good morning, or whatever it happens to be when you read this. Welcome to The Yolo County Hermit. I'm your suburban hermit, James.

It's morning in Yolo County, California as I write this. Summer mornings are lovely here; cool, greenery everywhere. Blue sky. I have a nice Peruvian dark roast coffee, fair trade coffee, enjoying the quiet. Pico Verde, my conure, is also enjoying the quiet right next to me. The dog prefers to sleep late.

Here's why I like random things; I don't believe in fate or destiny. Or god. There's what we do, or fail to do. There's the choices we make, right or wrong. And everything else is random or coincidence. God didn't give you a flat tire on the way to work because you said "Jesus Fucking Christ" when you cleaned the litter box yesterday. You're just taking poor care of your car, that's a choice, or somebody left something sharp on the road and you drove over it, that's a coincidence. 

There's a site called Radio Garden, I've mention this before; you can turn a globe and pick out a radio station station anywhere in the world. I like to randomly pick a station somewhere, anywhere, and listen. I was listening to a jazz station in Paris and I heard the song below.

Enjoy your day.


MILES DAVIS, I Loves You, Porgy.
From his Porgy and Bess album in 1958. 
Written by the Gershwin Brothers.









LINK:

The Loving-Kindness Sutra on the Austin Zen Center site.



I changed my profile picture. I like to play with that.
This is called Solemn Bond Between Man And Gorilla.
Me and a faithful pal. 


Until next time,
James

Comments