Sunday, August 23, 2026

Random Rumi.

 ~ The Yolo County Hermit ~

Sounds like good advice.

Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī (1207-1273) was a Sufi mystic. I have 4 books of his poetry translated into English. I found this meme among a bunch of old .jpg files of mine. Thus inspired, I decided on a Random Rumi day.


Poet and translator Haleh Liza Gafori sings a poem by Rumi from one of her two collections of Rumi's poems.



Link: RUMI COFFEE is now open in Fresno, California.




Rumi, by Iranian artist Hossein Behzad (1957)













Link: Why is Rumi the best-selling poet in the US? This is a story from the BBC back in 2014.



The teachings of Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī are mystical, ecstatic, and enduring. Rumi didn't really write these things down; he had students for that. The way it worked was Rumi put one had on this pole (or column) and spun around it and began speaking while the students wrote down his words. I wish we'd had that back in Northlake Community College. There are many translations, but for English, I prefer those by Coleman Barks or Haleh Liza Gafori. Those are the ones that keep Rumi on the best-seller lists.


Until next time --


Adios,
James






No comments:

Post a Comment

Nasty hair. Billy Gibbons and the blues. Eating the rich.

-The Yolo County Hermit- A thought for today: {Random Crap 'r Us} A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the ...